I feel like it has been a while since the last rebate, but Staples is again giving a rebate on the purchase of Visa gift cards this week. (Update: This rebate has ended but Staples is giving a rebate on the purchase of MasterCard gift cards from 3/20-3/26.)
Here are the details of the rebate:
• Buy $250 or more of Visa gift cards at Staples stores between March 13 through March 19, 2016.
• Receive a $20 Visa prepaid card by mail after easy rebate.
• There is a limit of one rebate per household.
How Much Can You Earn?
$20 is more than the fees you would incur for purchasing $250 of Visa gift cards so you would be earning some extra profit on top of points for using a credit card.
How much points you earn depends on the credit card you use. The best cards to use those that earn 5% in office supply stores but you come ahead even if you use another credit card.
The amount of money you earn will depend on what gift card denominations you purchase. Staples stores sell Visa gift cards in $100 and $200 denominations with fees of $5.95 and $6.95 respectively. To minimize fees it would be best to buy the highest denomination gift cards you can find. Ideally, your local Staples store will carry $200 Visa gift cards (which is not always the case).
How Do Staples Rebates Work?
For anyone unfamiliar with the Staples Easy Rebates process here is how it works:
1. Buy at least $250 in Visa gift cards using your credit card at a Staples store. The cashier will hand you a rebate form with your receipt. There is only one rebate per household (you could use the email and home address of a friend or family member to earn more than one rebate).
2. Complete and submit your rebate form. I like to do mine online at stapleseasyrebates.com and it only takes a minute or two.
3. A few weeks later you will receive your $20 Visa prepaid card by mail.
The timing of this rebate could not be more perfect for me as I just received a new Ink Plus in the mail a couple of weeks ago. I plan to purchase 2 $200 Visa gift cards using my Ink Plus if I can find them.