Today is the first day of a new quarter and a new set of 5% bonus categories for the Chase Freedom Flex and original Chase Freedom credit card. Although the Chase Freedom and the Chase Freedom Flex are technically cash back cards, if you have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Ink Business Preferred or Ink Plus card you can transfer points from your Freedom account into one of those accounts and then can transfer those points to various Chase travel partners.
The Chase Freedom 5% categories for 2021 Q1 quarter (January 1, 2021 – March 31, 2021) are Wholesale Clubs, Internet, Cable, & Phone Services, Select Streaming Services.
Chase provides some clarification on what is included or excluded in each category.
• Wholesale Clubs: COSTCO (the Freedom Flex is a Mastercard and only accepted online at Costco.com, not in-warehouse), BJ’S, SAM’S CLUB and TEXAS JASMINE.
• Wholesale club exclusions: Gas, fuel, wholesale specialty service purchases such as travel, insurance, cell phone and home improvement.
• Internet, Cable, & Phone Services exclusions: Purchases or payment for internet, cable and satellite television, phone or related services in a merchant’s store that is not classified by the merchant in the applicable services category.
• Select Streaming Services: Only subscription services paid for with the listed select merchants will qualify for this offer: Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, Netflix, Sling, Vudu, Fubo TV, Apple Music, SiriusXM, Pandora, Spotify, YouTube TV
• Select Streaming Services exclusions: Purchases other than subscription services, e.g., music or video downloads, equipment, gift cards, etc.
Click here for complete list of merchants.
The 5% only applies to the first $1,500 spent on combined purchases each quarter. This means if you spend $1,500 on a combination of Wholesale Clubs, Internet, Cable, & Phone Services, Select Streaming Services this quarter you will receive a total of 7,500 points (1,500 plus a bonus of 6,000 points).
Don’t Forget to Activate
Please note, that in order to earn the 5% you must activate the offer each quarter (by text, email or other methods). If you have a Chase Freedom and have signed up for email reminders you should have already received an email asking you to activate this quarter’s categories. If you have not yet activated the 5% for this quarter, you can register now or any time during the registration period and earn the full 5% for the entire quarter retroactively. Registration for the 1st quarter of 2021 ended on March 14, 2021.