Chase has made some changes to the Chase Freedom Unlimited card which has made it even better. If you already have a Chase Freedom Unlimited card, it is now more valuable as it earns more for certain purchases. If you are not now a cardholder and are not over Chase 5/24, it might be worth applying for it.
Disclosure: This article contains some of our referral links.
Recent Chase Freedom Unlimited Improvements
Before the new improvements to the Chase Freedom Unlimited, the card had a simple rewards earning structure -it earned an unlimited 1.5% on all purchases. It was a great card to use and earn 1.5% when no other credit cards earned more for certain categories.
This week Chase made some improvements to the Chase Freedom Unlimited. Instead of 1.5% on all purchases, carholders will now earn:
• 5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
• 3% on dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery services.
• 3% on drugstore purchases.
• 1.5% on all other purchases.
Chase Freedom Unlimited Review
For those not familiar with the Chase Freedom Unlimited, it is a NO ANNUAL FEE cash back card that earns Chase Ultimate Rewards points.
Chase Freedom Unlimited is technically a cash back card only and points earned using the Chase Freedom Unlimited cannot be directly transferred to airlines and hotel programs. However, if you have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Ink Business Preferred or Ink Plus card you can transfer or combine your points from your Chase Freedom account to one of those cards and then from there to the various Ultimate Rewards travel partners. See related post How To Combine or Transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards Points Between Accounts.
Other features of the Chase Freedom Ultimate card are:
• Welcome Bonus: Earn a $200 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. (Plus earn 5% cash back on grocery store purchases (not including Target® or Walmart® purchases) on up to $12,000 spent in the first year.) Chase Freedom Unlimited is available to you if you do not have this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months.
• Rewards Bonus: Earn 5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards; earn 3% on dining at restaurants (including takeout and eligible delivery services) and drugstore purchases; earn 1.5% on all other purchases.
• 5% cash back on Lyft rides through March 2022 through the Chase-Lyft partnership
• Get a complimentary 3 months of DashPass, DoorDash’s subscription service that provides unlimited deliveries for a $0 delivery fee on eligible orders over $12 on DoorDash and Caviar (other fees may apply). After that, you are automatically enrolled in DashPass at 50% off for the next 9 months. Need to activate by December 31, 2021.
• 0% intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases.
• No annual fee
• Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open.
• Purchase Protection: Covers your new purchases when you use your card for 120 days against damage or theft up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account. Certain restrictions, limitations and exclusions apply.
• Extended Warranty Protection: Extends the time period of the U.S. manufacturer’s warranty by an additional year, on eligible warranties of three years or less. Certain restrictions, limitations and exclusions apply.
• Trip Cancellation/ Interruption Insurance: You can be reimbursed up to $1,500 per person and $6,000 per trip for your pre-paid, nonrefundable passenger fares, if your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations. Certain restrictions, limitations and exclusions apply.
• Travel and Emergency Assistance Services
• Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver: Decline the rental company’s collision insurance and charge the entire rental cost to your card. Coverage is provided for theft and collision damage for most cars in the U.S. and abroad. In the U.S., coverage is secondary to your personal insurance.